May is National Electrical Safety Month and Firelands Electric Cooperative is celebrating with an exciting new contest!
It takes a lot of people to keep electricity flowing, including more than a dozen linemen who work for the cooperative. Linemen often face challenging and dangerous situations to ensure that your home, farm, or business receives safe, reliable power. They work near high voltage equipment on a regular basis, and frequently do so while nearly forty feet in the air. To protect themselves, linemen wear special protective equipment.
To help teach our younger co-op members about the importance of this safety equipment, Firelands Electric is sponsoring a contest for children in kindergarten through fifth grade to learn how each piece of linemen’s safety equipment is used. Three entries will be randomly selected to win a private tour of Firelands Electric’s utility equipment and lunch with a lineman later this summer!
- Children in kindergarten through fifth grade are eligible to enter.
- Students must live in a home receiving its power from Firelands Electric Cooperative.
- Complete the entry on the CONTEST FORM by writing the name of the safety equipment in the blank next to the correct description on the diagram. Contest forms can be found in the May issue of Ohio Cooperative Living magazine or by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.
- Chose the equipment name from the list of words in the word bank provided.
- A parent or guardian must also complete and sign the section at the bottom of the form.
- Completed entries may be returned by mailing them to: Safety Contest, Firelands Electric Cooperative, P.O. Box 32, New London, OH 44851. Entries may also be dropped off at the co-op office or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries must be received by 4 p.m. on Friday, June 2.
- Students who correctly identify at least six of the eight pieces of safety equipment will have their names entered into a drawing for a chance to win one of three spots for a special behind-the-scenes look at electric utility equipment and lunch with a Firelands lineman. (Each of the three winners will be permitted to bring one adult chaperone to the event.)
- Winners will be featured in the local pages of a future issue of Ohio Cooperative Living magazine, as well as on Firelands Electric Cooperative’s website and social media outlets. The correct answers to the contest will also be published in a future issue.
If you have any questions regarding our Lunch with a Lineman contest, please contact the member services department at 1-800-533-8658.